Javier Vásconez (Ecuador, 1946) studied literature at the University of Navarre, Spain, and in Paris. In 1982 he published a book of short stories, Ciudad lejana (Far-Away City), and in 1983 he was awarded the first mention in the magazine Plural of Mexico, with the story «Angelote, amor mío» («Angelote, my love»). In 1989 El hombre de la mirada oblicua (The Man with the Slanting Gaze) appeared, and in 1994 «Café Concert». His stories have been translated into English, French, Swedish and German. In 1996 he published the nouvelle El secreto (The Secret), and the novel El viajero de Praga (The Traveler from Prague, Alfaguara 1996). This last title was very well received by the public and the critics alike in both Latin America and in Europe. With Un extraño en el puerto (A Stranger in the Port, Alfaguara 1998), a selection of his stories, Vásconez reached a significant moment of maturity in his writing. La piel del miedo (Seix Barral 2010) is his latest novel.
* A chapter from La vida por delante, the novel Javier Vascónez is currently writing, in Quito's Hoy newspaper: http://ow.ly/w4rXZ.
* Reading of the chapter «Hoteles» from La vida por delante in Radio Visión (Quito): http://ow.ly/w4u7z.
* A very detailed dossier about the author in the digital magazine Otro lunes:http://ow.ly/w4sWk.
* A review of La piel del miedo in the Spanish magazine Babelia of the newspaper El País: http://ow.ly/w4tUd.
* An article about La piel del miedo in Letras Libres:http://ow.ly/w4seE.
* «Divagaciones acerca de una línea imaginaria»: an article by Javier Vascónez in the Danish magazine Aurora Boreal: http://ow.ly/w4sAq.
Literary Genres: contemporary fiction - police, black and suspense - anthologies
Published at: - - Alfaguara - Editorial Foc - Fondo de cultura económica - Pre-Textos - Random House () - Veintisieteletras - Viento sur editorial